A 14-year-old suspect was shot by a deputy according to the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office.Authorities are investigating a deputy-involved shooting in which a 14-year-old suspect was shot after ramming a deputy’s patrol car. The incident took place on Thursday morning near King Orange Drive and Mura Drive after a deputy spotted the stolen vehicle in which the suspect was in.“When our deputies pulled into the apartment complex where the vehicle was located, the driver ignored all commands to stop and exit the vehicle and instead rammed one patrol vehicle before fleeing toward another deputy then crashing through a concrete wall,” said Sheriff Ken Mascara in a written statement.Sheriff Mascara said the deputy feared for his life and therefore opened fire, hitting the suspect in the leg.Police later located the suspect and was transported to the hospital for treatment.No further details have been released.
WPTV Reports:GADSDEN COUNTY, Fla. — Gov. Ron DeSantis said five Florida residents who recently traveled to China have tested positive for coronavirus and are being quarantined.The governor didn’t specify where the residents are being quarantined.“They’re not going to be released from quarantine until they test negative,” Gov. DeSantis said on Thursday at the Gadsden County Sheriff’s Office. “We don’t anticipate that having any impact on the people actually living in Florida.”In addition, the governor said an elderly Santa Rosa County man has presumptively tested positive for coronavirus, or COVID-19, in a state lab. That positive test still needs to be confirmed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Gov. DeSantis said the man, who’s over the age of 70, had severe underlying medical conditions.“He had been doing international travel,” the governor said. “He’s not in shape to fully answer all the questions, so there’s an investigation ongoing.”Gov. DeSantis added that the coronavirus risk to Floridians remains low, and the federal government is working to provide more testing kits to the state to screen patients for the virus.“As of right now, our testing is being done in three local areas. We have Jacksonville, we have Tampa, and we have Miami,” the governor said. “They have tens of thousands [of tests] that will eventually be en route. We don’t have them yet. We’d like to get them as soon as possible.”State officials said people who are elderly, frail, or have underlying medical conditions are most at risk of coronavirus.“That is overwhelmingly the audience, the groups, that is most susceptible to COVID-19,” the governor said. “If you’re somebody that has a real serious condition already, you should it view it differently than if you’re 25 years old and don’t have any problems.”To date, the CDC has only confirmed two cases of coronavirus in Florida: a Manatee County man in his 60s, and a Hillsborough County man in her 20s.For questions related to coronavirus in Florida, contact the Department of Health’s COVID-19 Call Center by calling 1-866-779-6121. The call center is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.mGet the latest information about coronavirus in Florida by clicking here.
Gov. Ron DeSantis and medical officials are holding a press conference regarding COVID-19 at Orlando Health.
Florida’s largest supermarket chain has a new policy as of next week, in the effort to fight the spread of the coronavirus.Beginning July 21, Publix will require all customers to wear a mask or some type of face covering while inside any of its stores.The Lakeland-based company posted the information on its website Thursday.Publix cited CDC guidelines for the change, and emphasized that face coverings must be worn over both the nose and mouth.To limit the spread of COVID-19, face coverings are required at all stores beginning July 21. To learn more, visit https://t.co/FxZxssOU70 pic.twitter.com/YyfLFdpSkB— Publix (@Publix) July 16, 2020 The grocer has implemented other measures to help shoppers abide by social distancing, such as one-way aisles and marking off six-foot increments at the checkout aisles.Other businesses that already require face coverings include Target, Walmart and CVS.The CDC states on its website that “a cloth face covering may not protect the wearer, but it may keep the wearer from spreading the virus to others.”
Latest Posts ELLSWORTH — More than 200 competitors from Maine and Canada vied for trophies at the recent Maine Team Karate Championships hosted by Tracy’s Karate-Ju-Jitsu of Ellsworth.Teams of five members — men, women and children on each team — competed at Brown Belt and lower levels with a separate division for Black Belts. At least six wins were required to be crowned grand champions. The event also included “kumite” individual sparring events featuring winners from previous tournaments competing for grand championships. Earlier in the day, students of the year were recognized from the eight dojos in Tracy’s Institute of Self-Defense, and awards also were presented for best attitude, most improved, most dedicated and most supportive parents. For complete story, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. Latest posts by admin (see all) admin State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 Bio
State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 Latest posts by admin (see all) Maine teammates Cynthia Stroud (left) of Brooklin and Mia Kanazawa (right) of Brooksville are joined by Florida’s Marieke Rolland as the championship petanque trio proudly displays the gold medals they won at the recent national championships.—FEDERATION OF PETANQUE USABOCA RATON, Fla. — Another national sports championship has come to Hancock County.On the heels of the Woodlawn Croquet Club’s recently acquired national title, Cynthia Stroud of Brooklin and Mia Kanazawa of Brooksville joined with Marieke Rolland of Florida earlier this month to win the U.S. Women’s World Cup Qualifying Tournament in the sport of petanque.With the win, the three earned the right to represent the United States at the Women’s Petanque World Championships in Thailand in November.Petanque (or boules, as it also is known) resembles lawn bowling and bocce. Very popular in Europe, Asia and South America, it is gaining interest elsewhere in the world.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textCompeting in a two-day tournament against other women’s teams from across the country, Kanazawa, Stroud and Rolland clinched the championship when they broke from a 12-all tie in the final match of the qualifier and went on to a 15-11 win.They defeated Los Angeles players Diana Jacobs, Antonia Chavez and Sandra Bonneville. In February, Kanazawa and Stroud competed in the U.S. Women’s Singles Tournament in Boca Raton, facing each other in the finals and winning the gold and silver, respectively, becoming the top women players in the country.More information about Petanque USA is available at usapetanque.org.For information about the Maine Boules Club, contact president Andre Strong of Penobscot at firstname.lastname@example.org.For complete story, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. admin Bio Latest Posts Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014
Like he did in the ’60s, Noel Paul Stookey sings out in troubling times – December 27, 2017 GSA surges in 4th to win Northern Maine title – February 26, 2017 Latest Posts Hugh BowdenExecutive EditorHugh writes editorials, covers Hancock County sports and helps out where needed in The American’s editorial department. When he’s not on the sidelines, he enjoys playing jazz and tennis. email@example.com CASTINE — The George Stevens Academy Eagles remained undefeated on Monday as they bested the Mount Desert Island Trojans and Calais Blue Devils in a three-team match at the Castine Golf Club.GSA’s C.J. Chen scored medalist honors with a four-over-par round of 39 as the Eagles finished with a score of 189.Also for the 7-0 Eagles, Alex Heilner carded a 44, followed by David Reinke 52, Brett Ingraham and Joe Maier 54, Dakota Chipman 56, Gordon Lameyer 61 and Jackson Billings 71.For the Trojans, who finished with a score of 189, Jordan Hodgdon led the way with a round of 45, followed by Kyle Lamson 46, Nick Lewis 50, Riley Swanson 54, Luke Mitchell 56 and Aaron Snurkowski 59.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textCalais finished with a score of 221.At the Bucksport Golf Course on Monday, Bucksport’s Golden Bucks were defeated 185-208 by the John Bapst Crusaders.For the Golden Bucks, Casey Ginn led the way with a round of 47, followed by Sydnie Howard 48, Noah Lenor 54, Rykar Mason 59, Mitchell Small 60, David Bunker 62, James McAllian 67 and Nick Jennings 70.At the Searsport Pines Golf Course on Monday, the Searsport Vikings eked out a five-stroke win, edging the Ellsworth Eagles 232-237.For the Eagles, Lucas Day finished with a 51, followed by Devon McDevitt 66, Dylan Murray 71, Trevor Varney 72 and Keith Eaton 84.Find in-depth coverage of local news in The Ellsworth American. Subscribe digitally or in print. Is this the kind of government we deserve? – July 10, 2017 Latest posts by Hugh Bowden (see all) Bio
Moscow, June 14: Los Angeles Galaxy forward and former Sweden captain Zlatan Ibrahimovic said on Thursday that the 2018 FIFA World Cup was the “best thing” that could happen to the Swedish national football team.”I retired from the national team a couple of years ago… It’s the best thing that can happen to a player, represent the country in a World Cup. It’s a moment of memory, a moment of honour,” Ibrahimovic told journalists.The 36-year-old, who currently plays for the US club the Los Angeles Galaxy, has played for a number of European giants, such as Juventus, Barcelona, Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United, over the course of his career.Ibrahimovic is Sweden’s all-time top goalscorer, having netted 62 goals in 116 matches before retiring from international football after Euro 2016 in France.The former Juventus and FC Barcelona striker also felt that Sweden is among the favourites to win the World Cup, along with the likes of Brazil and Argentina. IANS
New Delhi: Looks like Jasprit Bumrah and injury scares are going hand in hand in this edition of the Indian Premier League. After hurting himself in the first match of the season against Delhi Capitals at the Wankhede Stadium, he was seen with a black spot around his right eye during Saturday’s game between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Mumbai Indians at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Uppal. Speaking to IANS, sources in the know of developments said that the black spot was a result of a ball hitting Bumrah during practice.“He was hit by a ball during training. Luckily, the balls used for fielding are slightly softer and it was just a bruise and there was no serious impact on the eye,” the source said. All eyes have been on the Mumbai Indians pacer as he is not just an integral part of the IPL franchise but also India skipper Virat Kohli’s main weapon in the national set-up. With the World Cup round the corner, every effort has been made to ensure that he doesn’t suffer any injury going into the showpiece event in England.Even after his painful fall in the first game of the season, India physio Patrick Farhat immediately contacted MI physio Nitin Patel to check on the status of Bumrah’s injury even though it was just a shoulder spasm and the pacer was already feeling better by the end of the game. IANSAlso Read: SPORTS NEWS
Madrid: Tottenham’s Danish international midfielder Christian Eriksen believes luck has been on his team’s side during their Champions League campaign. Speaking on the eve of the final against Liverpool in the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium in Madrid, Eriksen reflected on how close Tottenham have been to being knocked out on numerous occasions this campaign.The side from north London has been within 10 minutes of crashing out of the tournament on five different occasions, scraping through after a poor start in the group stage, scoring a 95th minute goal against Ajax and seeing how a close VAR decision on Raheem Sterling’s injury time goal that would have put Manchester City into the semi-finals, being ruled out for offside, reports Xinhua news agency.”I don’t know if it’s destiny. I think at the moment we’ve just been lucky,” admitted Eriksen.”First of all, with the City game, with Sterling, I thought we were out. Gone. Then Ajax was a bit different because it was during the game. There was no waiting or standing around. It was just Lucas (Moura) popped up at the right time.””It was nerve-wracking and it was dramatic. We’re just happy we were on the right side,” commented the midfielder, who remembers how he lost possession for Sterling’s disallowed strike in the last eight. In the end, it was lucky, because it would have been very, very painful,” he admitted. IANSAlso Read: SPORTS NEWS