Labour market sees ninthstraight monthly gain as jobless rate dips to 62

OTTAWA — Canada’s labour market posted its ninth-straight month of job gains in August to give the economy its longest monthly growth streak since before the financial crisis nine years ago.Statistics Canada says last month’s increase of 22,200 jobs also helped nudge the unemployment rate down from 6.3 per cent in July to a nine-year low of 6.2.But Friday’s data showed the August growth was fuelled by less-desirable work, as the economy gained 110,400 part-time jobs and shed 88,100 full-time positions.The agency said most of the decline in full-time work was concentrated among young Canadians aged 15 to 24 years old. The youth category also showed a notable decrease last month in participation as fewer young people looked for work.The August numbers also showed a decline of 10,400 paid employee positions, while the number of people who described themselves as self-employed, including unpaid workers in family businesses, increased by 32,700.Looking at the bigger picture, however, the latest numbers said the labour market expanded 2.1 per cent compared to a year earlier with the addition of 374,300 net new jobs. Of those new jobs, 213,400 were full time.The data provided yet another sign the economy continued to have momentum after a stronger-than-expected start to 2017 that has also prompted two interest rate hikes by the Bank of Canada.The latest rate increase came earlier this week after a report showed Canadian economic growth expanded at an annual pace of 4.5 per cent from April to June.Last month’s labour data showed that the services sector gained 35,900 jobs while the number of factory positions fell by 13,700. The goods-sector slide was led by a loss of 11,100 manufacturing positions.By region, the agency reported that Ontario posted the only notable gain among provinces, while employment declined in Nova Scotia. The headline job numbers were little changed in the other provinces.The agency also said wages grew 1.8 per cent last month compared to a year earlier for the biggest increase since last October.Follow @AndyBlatchford on Twitter read more

Lonely hearts couple who met on Muslim dating site jailed for 26

first_imgThe pair were arrested on December 12, 2016 and convicted of preparation of terrorist acts last month. During the arrest, Mohammed was caught with two of the three components to make TATP. Would-be bomber Munir Mohammed on a trip to his local Asda where he bought the wrong type of nail varnish remover to make explosives An Isil-inspired couple who plotted a “devastating” bomb and poison attack in the UK after meeting on a Muslim dating website have been jailed for a total of 26 years today. Munir Mohammed, a 37-year-old food factory worker from Sudan, and 33-year-old pharmacist Rowadia El-Hassan held “offensive and deeply disturbing” views towards gay people, followers of Shia Islam and other groups, Judge Michael Topolski QC said as he sentenced them at the Old Bailey.The couple met in March 2016 on the dating site singlemuslim.com and used WhatsApp to swap propaganda and execution videos that the judge said were “designed to express support for Islamic State”. Mohammed, who lived in London and communicated with Isil on Facebook, said he planned to carry out a lone wolf atrocity in the UK, the court heard.He enlisted the help of El-Hassan, a divorced mother of two from Derby, who told him how to source the chemical components to make the explosive TATP, known as ‘Mother of Satan’. They also searched online about the manufacture of ricin, a highly toxic substance. Would-be bomber Munir Mohammed on a trip to his local Asda where he bought the wrong type of nail varnish remover to make explosivesCredit:Counter Terrorism Policing North/PA At the Old Bailey on Thursday, the judge handed Mohammed – who arrived in the UK in 2014 in the back of a lorry and claimed asylum – a minimum sentence of 14 years. El-Hassan was jailed for 12 years with an extended five year licence.  Judge Michael Topolski QC said: “Munir Mohammed decided to carry out a lone wolf attack in this country. Rowadia El-Hassan, aware of this, was supportive of it and was willing to assist him.”The judge said he was satisfied it was Mohammed who introduced the radical ideological material into the online relationship but said of El-Hassan that her commitment was “consistent and sustained.””Far from rejecting it, she embraced it and became more and more absorbed by it,” he said. “I am sure that Munir Mohammed, whose plan this was, would not have got as far as he did in assembling all that he needed to launch a potentially devastating attack.”last_img read more