Cardinals Battle Bulldogs In Golf

first_imgThe St. Louis Golf team faced off against the Batesville Bulldogs, Monday night, at Cricket Ridge Golf Course. Batesville came out with a strong team and came out on top 187 to 242.Scoring for the Cardinals were Cael Rahe, Jackson Wanstrath, Eli Weiler, and Rhea Miller.The Cardinal team travels to Dearborn Country Club, Tuesday to face South Dearborn.Courtesy of Cardinals Coach Randy Streator.last_img

With PLL dreams, D-III transfer Mitch Wykoff faces latest challenge at SU

first_img Published on June 7, 2020 at 9:35 pm Contact Arabdho: armajumd@syr.edu | @aromajumder Mitch Wykoff had no intention of ending his lacrosse career. After the NCAA canceled his senior season due to the coronavirus pandemic, Wykoff first looked to the Premier Lacrosse League. A couple teams showed interest, he said. When the NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility for spring sport athletes, Wykoff considered dropping a spring semester class at Gettysburg, where he’d been a four-year starter, to continue playing with the Bullets next spring. By mid-March, Division I programs recruited him as a graduate transfer.Utah was immediately Wykoff’s top destination, said Brigid Wykoff, his mother. Three of the team’s assistant coaches currently play in the PLL. Wykoff had nearly guaranteed playing time with the Utes, and his PLL exposure would increase. But in mid-April, Syracuse assistant coach Lelan Rogers reached out to Gettysburg head coach Hank Janczyk.  “You’re kidding me,” Wykoff said to Janczyk upon learning of Syracuse’s interest in him.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“No, no, no,” Janczyk said. “He wants to talk to you.”The Orange had just lost defensive leader Nick Mellen to Major League Lacrosse and starting long-stick midfielder Jared Fernandez to Johns Hopkins. Wykoff’s versatility and reputation as a top cover player made him a strong candidate for both roles. The Utes remained an attractive choice as a pipeline to the PLL. But Wykoff went for the biggest challenge with the most rewarding payout, his mother said. He announced his transfer to Syracuse on May 9.“He’s more afraid of not just taking the opportunity and then regretting it,” Brigid said.At Fairfield Ludlowe High School (Connecticut), he was the ultimate “cover corner,” head coach Chris Parisi said. Wykoff always seemed to be three or four moves ahead of his matchup, baiting opponents into thinking he was beat before taking the opening away. He’d would spend hours watching film, focusing on his footwork. Whenever Ludlowe needed an opposing player eliminated from the game, Wykoff made it his “personal battle,” Parisi said.Wykoff continued to hone his stick skills, too. In his senior year against perennial Connecticut powerhouse Wilton, Wykoff performed a play that Parisi described as the most “exciting and improbable” one he’s ever seen on a lacrosse field. The score was tied at 10 with 10 seconds left, and a Ludlowe defender grabbed a rebound and passed it to Wykoff. He ran up the right sideline, but Wilton’s press tried to force him out of bounds. Wykoff jumped, his momentum carrying him out of bounds, and flung a behind-the-back pass that lasered down the sideline onto his attack’s stick.Another pass later, Ludlowe was leading. In 11 years as Ludlowe’s head coach, Parisi hadn’t beaten Wilton and hasn’t since.“You look at all these incredible athletic plays that Michael Jordan makes,” Parisi said. “Well Mitch Wykoff had one of those for us. You know, you just never forget a play like that.”Katelyn Marcy | Digital Design DirectorWykoff received interest from a few D-I schools in high school, eventually securing a scholarship from Richmond. For reasons Wykoff said he still doesn’t know, the offer was soon taken away, at a time when most schools had already filled up their rosters. Gettysburg, a D-III school, had shown interest in Wykoff earlier, and he’d gone to one of their camps, said Greg Wykoff, his father. Choosing Gettysburg, his mother’s alma mater, was an easy decision, Wykoff said. From his freshman year, Wykoff started all 17 games on the backline — unusual for the Bullets, Brigid said — and was charged with the opposition’s top threat. He followed up an All-Conference second team freshman season with two-straight second team All-American honors. He was named a first team All-American by Inside Lacrosse in the shortened 2020 season. “I wanted to show everybody that I could compete at the next level,” Wykoff said. “And I wanted to get numbers that nobody’s ever gotten before at the D-III level, and make something of myself one day, and prove that I didn’t need to be at Richmond to be successful.”Each year at Gettysburg, Wykoff’s role expanded. He was soon on the wings for faceoffs because of his knack for picking up ground balls, and his vocal communication improved to allow him to be the defensive quarterback — not just an individual defender. The summer before his junior season at Gettysburg, Wykoff went home to practice his shooting and dodging for hours each day at Fairfield Ludlowe’s field. Then, he would find YouTube game footage to analyze how the best shooters found holes and angles.Returning to Gettysburg, Wykoff found many teams gave him space to run with the ball, expecting him to panic and throw it away. He took advantage of the opportunity. The Bullets’ attackers spaced the field out and Wykoff ran down with a one-on-one matchup. He ended the 2019 season with nine goals, a program-record for a close defender.He played the following summer for the Coyotes in the Connecticut Box Lacrosse League’s inaugural season, a challenge to continue growing his game. Box lacrosse, unlike field, allows moving picks, so defenders need to be strong enough to push through the screens. Wykoff was one of the best defensemen in the league, coach Oliver Marti said, noting his physicality. I wanted to show everybody that I could compete at the next level, and I wanted to get numbers that nobody’s ever gotten before at the D-III level.- Mitch WykoffWykoff was placed on the short man (man-down) unit, adding to his learning curve, Marti said. Box lacrosse is faster because the restrained playing area prevents shots from exiting the rink, so defenders have to pick up more ground balls. There’s also more pressure on clears and no option for passes back to the goalie.In short man situations, the pace of play accelerates. While attacks seek out one-on-one matchups in field lacrosse, box lacrosse relies on quick ball movement. This forces defenders, especially at the top of the “box” where Wykoff played, to be more agile and aware in order to cut down passing and shooting lanes.Wykoff picked up box lacrosse quickly, Marti said. Against Duke’s Jordan Ginder, who was third in the Atlantic Coast Conference in face-off percentage in the 2020 season, the Coyotes decided not to contest the draw. They instead used Wykoff in the circle to put pressure on Ginder immediately after he picked up the ball. It forced a turnover about half the time, Marti said. While the Coyotes didn’t beat Ginder’s Copperheads in the regular season, they did in the semifinals. Wykoff earned an assist and a team-high eight ground balls in the playoffs as the Coyotes lost the championship game. Wykoff improved the most in his reaction time and decision making speed, Marti said. Marti doesn’t expect there to be many transition woes as Wykoff moves to Syracuse, given how well he picked up box lacrosse.“I think they need a great, strong, dependable, confident defender and long stick,” Marti said. “And I think he’ll be phenomenal at that role.”When Richmond dropped its offer a little over four years ago, Wykoff wondered whether he could play at the top level of college lacrosse, Brigid said. He turned “lemons into lemonade,” Greg said, and succeeded in every facet of the game at Gettysburg. But he knew very few D-III players made it to the pro ranks. Without a senior season, the chance of a PLL contract plummeted further. Once again, he had to make the best of the situation. Wykoff found a new home at Syracuse, where he’ll have a final chance to clear any lingering doubts and fight for a national championship and a spot in the PLL. It’s far from guaranteed, but that’s the way Wykoff wants it.  Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Tipp minors focus on All Ireland quarter final.

first_imgFollowing their loss to Kerry in yesterdays Munster final they will now face the Connacht champions.Galway and Sligo meet in the Connacht final on Sunday week, July 19th with the All Ireland quarter final set for the august Bank holiday weekendManager Charlie McGeever says Tipp have played both teams earlier in the year and will now work hard for the next game.last_img

Champions League, Premier League, La Liga to air live on free TV

first_imgIt’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Rivals in the Spanish league, Messi’s FC Barcelona and Ronaldo’s Real Madrid have always delivered thrilling duels whenever their teams cross paths, something Filipino fans should await.Meanwhile, English squads like Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, and Arsenal, as well as the best European teams like Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich will all hit the field and into the airwaves starting next month.Triple CH chairman Bernard Sumayao expressed his hope that these exciting football matches will entice Filipinos to play “the beautiful game.”“I wanted to give it away for free. We decided to not do this as a pay-for-play thing. If you want to develop a sport, the most important thing is the people’s awareness and their involvement,” he said.Sumayao also hinted that this partnership is just the tip of the iceberg which could lead to more support for Philippine football.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene LATEST STORIES Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View comments Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Fajardo vows to do his best for Gilas ABS-CBN Integrated Sports head Dino Laurena announced the news in a press conference on Thursday at Restaurant 9501 as a treat to Filipino football aficionados.“I feel that it will give us another shot in the arm as far as football is concerned. We’ve shown football games and the World Cup before on Balls Channel, and with that was our relationship with the national team. Through the years, we’ve felt a certain affinity on the development of football,” he said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBack on the throneBroadcast of the  livegames will start on December 2.“These are all going to be live games. I know a lot of fans follow these leagues and they’ve been available on pay cable, but that’s a very limited space for our fans,” said Laurena. “The time has come to let the excitement and the bigness of football that has taken the world like a giant tsunami to come to the shores of the Philippines.” ABS-CBN Sports officially forge its partnership with Hong Kong-based holding company Triple CH. Also present is Philippine Azkals team manager Dan Palami. Photo by Randolph B. Leongson/ INQUIRER.netIn line with its continued support in helping Philippine football grow, ABS-CBN Sports is taking a extra step in exposing the Filipino audience to the greatness of the sport.Football superstars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will soon be a regular fixture on local free TV after ABS-CBN Sports+Action forged a partnership with Hong Kong-based holding company Triple CH to air the UEFA Champions League, the English Premier League, and La Liga, three of the best leagues in the world.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award “It’s a stepping stone for bigger things that we want to do,” he said. “We want to see the level of football in the Philippines to go higher, to make them a powerhouse in football in the future, especially in Southeast Asia.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

Tottenham star slams Allardyce’s ‘diving’ claims

first_img1 Nabil Bentaleb celebrates Tottenham’s penalty against West Ham Tottenham midfielder Nabil Bentaleb has rubbished West Ham boss Sam Allardyce’s claims that Spurs striker Harry Kane dived for a penalty in Sunday’s 2-2 draw at White Hart Lane.Allardyce saw his side lose a two-goal lead in their London derby clash, with in-form Kane scoring a last-gasp equaliser after appearing to be hauled down in the area by Alex Song.The Hammers boss, whose side had looked set for three points after goals from Cheikhou Kouyate and Diafra Sakho, was unimpressed and said following the game that Tottenham were ‘desperate’.But Bentaleb defended his side, insisting Allardyce may have been caught up in the heat of the moment – and also suggested Mark Noble was lucky to escape a red card after the Hammers midfielder scythed through him having already been cautioned.“He can say whatever he wants,” Bentaleb said when asked about Allardyce’s remarks.“We scored a penalty in the last minute. Maybe it’s because of this, I can understand if he’s a little bit angry. But it’s not true. Of course it was a penalty – there’s no doubt about that.“If he wants to argue, we could also say Noble could have been sent off. But this is football. Sometimes the referee makes decisions and you just have to shut your mouth and not complain.“The positive thing we can take out of this game is that we believed until the end and once again we scored in the last minute and managed to get that point.”last_img read more

Water bank plan upheld on appeal

first_img A Ventura Superior Court judge in 2004 ruled in favor of the CLWA, a decision the Los Angeles appellate court affirmed. A three-judge panel agreed the the CLWA acted properly when it declared the plan had no problems, citing a 1994 environmental impact report for another Semitropic banking program. That program proposed to store 1 million acre-feet of water for several water purveyors, including Castaic. “Neither CWN nor any other member of the public submitted factual data supporting assertion that information relied on by Castaic in the 1994 EIR was outdated,” the judges wrote. The court also agreed the CLWA was the correct agency for the project; that perchlorate contamination and methods to remove it were addressed in the environmental review process. The court called the plaintiff’s allegations that the project would induce urban growth a “faulty premise” because it was stated as a 10-year plan. “This information is sufficient to support a finding that the Project will not cause significant growth-inducing impacts,” the judges wrote. Masnada said the agency spent more than $1.2 million defending against the lawsuit, though CLWA is named in another legal challenge to the Semitropic deal. Friends of the Santa Clara River is suing the state Department of Water Resources over its approval of the project. “This ruling makes me feel that much better about the suit,” Masnada said. “Frankly, I think they should drop it, but I don’t expect them to.” Eugene Tong, (661) 257-5253 eugene.tong@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SANTA CLARITA – A state appellate court Thursday upheld a lower court decision allowing a local water agency to bank of groundwater in Kern County – a plan two environmental groups challenged alleging officials failed to study the project’s impacts as required by law. The 2nd District Court of Appeal decision is a blow to the California Water Network and Friends of the Santa Clara River, who sued Castaic Lake Water Agency over its 2002 Groundwater Banking Program. The agency had proposed to store 24,000 acre-feet of water for 10 years with the Semitropic Water District in Kern County, which officials said would safeguard supply during drought years. “It was all about us banking some water for a few years,” said Dan Masnada, CLWA’s general manager. “They try to say it was a permanent transfer and that it was growth inducing. It was great that the court did not believe any one word they said.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88 The two environmental groups sued, claiming the local water wholesaler violated the California Environmental Quality Act because it failed to conduct the necessary studies. The CLWA had skipped the more detailed review when it declared the project would have no significant environmental impacts. Carolee Krieger, president of California Water Network, referred questions to attorney Stephan Volker, who did not return calls for comment Thursday. It was not known if the plaintiffs are planning another appeal. The plaintiffs also alleged the state Department of Water Resources, instead of CLWA, should oversee the project; that water quality at Semitropic’s facility is suspect due to contamination by the rocket fuel ingredient perchlorate; and that it violated the public trust because it would spur urban growth and impact biological resources and traffic. The CLWA oversees the Santa Clarita Valley’s allocation of State Water Project water, which makes up about half the region’s annual supply. Critics of the water agency contend that much of that water is available only on paper because it rarely gets full entitlement from the California Aqueduct water, which the CLWA does not receive every year. Environmental groups maintain there is inadequate water to support development – some 22,000 homes are proposed for North Los Angeles County in the coming decades. last_img read more